Vacancy: Media Officer
Call for Media Officer: Job description and requirements
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Media Officer to join our communications team. We offer an exciting opportunity to a candidate with experience of working as a Media Officer or similar communication roles for other international and multi-cultural organizations or social movements. Applications should be submitted by August 26th, 2019.
Job Role: Media Officer
Job Type: Part-time. Estimated workload of 4 days per month.
Duration: September 1 st , 2019, until October 2020 with possibility of extension
Remuneration: 240 Euro per day.
Location: Remote. Access to a strong and reliable internet connection is required.
The main job duties include:
- Drafting and disseminating press releases and other media communication materials such as opinion editorials, photo essays, advisories and press packs;
- Developing and implementing campaign communications and public relations strategies together with the campaigns and communications teams for print and broadcast media;
- Organizing press conferences at key events like UN Summits;
- Monitoring and analyzing press coverage and news relating to GFC campaigns;
- Keeping the “GFC in the press” and “Media Releases” pages on the GFC website up-to-date, and adding press conferences and other media events to the “Events” section;
- Establishing, growing and maintaining a contact list of key media outlets for the publication of future media releases, opinion editorials and photo essays;
- Developing effective working relationships with key external stakeholders including journalists and partner organizations;
- Organizing occasional media trainings for GFC members and allies as well as providing training on mainstream media;
- Working with the communications team to maintain the list of GFC spokespersons, ensuring that they are able to deliver their messages in various media and press spaces;
- Assessing the effectiveness of GFC media work and identifying strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for improvement;
- Participating in communications team conference calls.
Skills, experience and main requirements:
- At least 5 years of work experience with mainstream media, preferably for an international NGO or social movement;
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Spanish and/or French and/or Russian is an advantage;
- Background in journalism preferred;
- Basic knowledge of environmental and human rights issues;
- Commitment to GFC’s mission and vision;
- Strong news and media understanding, able to quickly grasp complex policy issues and spot
a good news story;
- Self-motivated with excellent organisational skills. Able to work remotely as part of an inter-
national team with tight media deadlines and able to manage competing priorities;
- Excellent communications skills both written and verbal.
Please send your application by August 26th to Coraina de la Plaza at firstname.lastname@example.org